Creamy Mushroom Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms (about 8 oz)
- ½ cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil (optional)
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small (or ½ large) yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tightly packed cups kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley as a garnish (optional)
Step by Step:
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the 1 ½ cups chopped cremini mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a high-speed blender, add soaked cashews, cooked mushrooms, water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt and truffle oil (if using). Blend until completely smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Using a spiraliser make the zucchini noodles, or use a vegetable peeler: peel lengthwise, stopping when the seeds are reached, turn zucchini over and continue peeling until all the zucchini is in long strips, resembling fettuccini.
- Once the zucchini is ready, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in your large saucepan. Add mushrooms and onion and sauté until mushrooms are tender and onions are translucent about 5 minutes. Add garlic, kale, zucchini noodles, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and tamari, and sauté an additional 3 minutes or until kale is wilted and tender.
- Pour creamy mushroom sauce into kale mushroom zucchini mixture, gently stir to combine and heat over low, or until heated through and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and a dash of black pepper. Serve immediately.